Phlox glaberrima ssp. triflora 'Triple Play' - Smooth phlox
Phlox glaberrima ssp. triflora 'Triple Play'
- Plant listed for information only. Not currently being sold at Garden Centers
The variegated foliage and shorter growth habit differentiate 'Triple Play' from its parent species. Clusters of pink flowers emerge in late spring, a stunning contrast to the creamy white-edged foliage. In cooler temperatures (i.e. spring and fall), the white margins blush with pink. This unique selection will attract butterflies and hummingbirds, and works well as a cut flower.
- Attracts monarchs, swallowtails and sulfurs butterflies
- Pinkish lavender blossoms are just right for hummingbirds
- Grows in any medium to moist rich soil, even wet clay
- The fragrant blooms make great cut flowers
- Resistant to powdery mildew
Found in wet woods, wet thickets, wet meadows and low prairies.
Hummingbirds are found only in the Western Hemisphere, from southeastern Alaska to southern Chile, although most live in the tropics. There are more than 300 species of hummingbirds, 12 of which summer in North America and winter in tropical areas.
Prefers moist, well-drained soils, but is tolerant of drought. No pest or disease issues have been observed.