Liatris microcephala - Dwarf Blazing Star
Dwarf Blazing Star
A powerhouse butterfly and hummingbird attractor, this small clump-forming perennial displays deep green grassy leaves along upright stems with each stem topped by spikes covered in small purple flowers in July. A showy drought-tolerant perennial that thrives in sunny dry, rocky soils.
- Deer-resistant and drought tolerant
- Attracts butterflies, hummingbirds, and pollinators
- Easy to grow in containers and even in green roofs
- Blooms are outstanding for cut flower use
- Native birds love the seed from spent flowers
Map Credit: The Biota of North America
Map Key: Green (native), Teal (native, adventive), Blue (present), Yellow (present & rare), Red (extinct)
Prefers average to dry, well-drained, slightly acidic soil in full sun. Tolerant of harsh growing conditions such as poor soil, heat, humidity, and drought. Best used in rock gardens, perennial and cutting gardens, or naturalized areas.