Magnolia virginiana - Sweet bay magnolia
DESCRIPTIONSweet bay magnolia
The long, shiny, deep green foliage of this Magnolia provides the perfect backdrop for the big, lemony fragrant, white spring to summer bloom. Cone like brown fruit containing bright red seed replaces spent blooms and are sought out by native birds. Easy to grow and a stunning, wide growing specimen.
- Wide growing, showy landscape specimen
- The white flowers have a fresh, lemony fragrance
- Fall fruit attracts a wide variety of native birds
- Easy to grow with outstanding foliage
- Larval host for the Sweetbay Silkmoth
The fruit is eaten by gray squirrels, turkey and quail as well as a variety of songbirds including vireos, towhees, Northern flicker and blue jays.
Plant in moist, acidic soil, in full sun or part shade away from harsh winter winds. If necessary, prune during the growing season and not in the winter. Sweetbay doesn’t have any serious insect or disease problems.